Re: why did FC6 install a XEN kernel on my inspiron?

> On a PAE-less system, it shouldn't even offer the choice of installing it.
> It has all the info available to know it isn't going to work.
>
> I'm puzzled why it _only_ installed a xen kernel.  We had that happen
> before, and backtracked as it turned out to be 'not a good idea'(tm).

Whilst I was luckily enough to decide not to install the vritualisation stuff
this also happened to a friend of mid who did not.

I think the default is to enable the virtualisation option, and in this case
he ended up with ONLY the Xen kernel. This caused all sorts of problems and
in the end I recommended reinstalling but turning of the virtualisation
stuff. This fixed all the issues he was having (sorry, I cannot recall the
issues).

So it seems to me that 1) the virtual stuff is on by default when I think it
should be off and 2) also ONLY Xen kernel is installed when selected, when
the nob-Xen kernel should really be installed as well.

Chris

> 		Dave
>
> --
> http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

| Dr Chris R Jones         work   : +44 (0)1223 337324         |
| HEP Group  (rm 882)      fax    : +44 (0)1223 353920         |
| Cavendish Laboratory,    home   : +44 (0)1223 510711         |
| Madingley Road,          mobile : +44 (0)7723 327477         |
| Cambridge, CB3 0HE       email  : jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |