Re: Two old problems with FC6

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:42:45AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
 > I asked this before but now I have more information on two problems I am
 > having.  I am running FC6 on a really old machine (2000) so that may be
 > the major problem.
 >
 > 1. No sound card is found. I determined my sound card is a Creative Lab
 > Sound Blaster Live 512V card. This card has always worked in earlier
 > versions of Fedora. Is it possible it has dropped off the supported
 > list? What can be done to make it work?

Creative made eight gazillion different flavours of the SB Live aparently,
and they all behave differently.  Mine shows up as a "SB Live! Value CT4670",
and frequently needs some fiddling in the volume control applet to find out
what the alsa developers named the volume slider this week.
It seems to be 'PCM' some weeks, and 'Wave surround' others.
Try enabled some extra sliders in the edit->preferneces menu in the volume control
applet.

 > 2. When the machine is shutdown it produces all the correct shutdown
 > messages but the power does not shut off. Does anyone feel positive
 > about these possible actions to correct the problem.
 > a. Update the BIOS

might fix it. not guaranteed, but I've heard of similar things before.

 > b. See if acpid is turned off in the BIOS. I have not tried this yet but
 > the shutdown has always worked in previous versions of FC6.start
 > I received only silence when I asked this before. Has someone a
 > suggestion that I have not thought of other then hit the shutdown button
 > when necessary. Restart works.

If the machine is from 2000 it may be borderline whether it's ACPI implementation
is up to snuff. A lot of BIOSes around that time were terrible.
"It boots windows, ship it".  You may have to resort to booting with
acpi=off, if all else fails, at which point the kernel will fallback
to using APM which has a much better chance of working (It's a much simpler standard).
on older machines.

 > I should reveal that after 50 years in the computer business (I started
 > before transistors were invented) I see my beating my head against
 > fedora problems as a prevention of Alzheimer's. Why would I want to
 > install Ubantu that someone told me just works. How dull.

Keep fighting the good fight :-)

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk