Re: i386 RPMs in x86_64 repos?

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Paul Howarth writes:

Unlikely to help. The trend is towards having *more* i386 packages in the x86_64 repo, not less. See:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-October/msg00722.html

Whilst some of us would like to be able to easily install a "pure" 64-bit system, some regard the omission of 32-bit support as "crippling the OS".

It would be nice if a representative of this "some" group please explain exactly what exactly is being "crippled" in the OS, unless you stuff a crapload of i686 gunk into it?

I must've been out of town, recently, but I thought that Fedora was supposed to be a distribution based solely on free and open source software. So I really don't understand WTF anyone needs the i686 crap for. If I want to install any FOSS software I get it, build it, and install it. Naturally, it gets built as native 64bit code. So what do I need the 32bit code for, again?

I agree entirely; perhaps you could repost your response as a reply to Jesse Keating's message on fedora-devel-list:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-November/msg00027.html

Paul.