Re: Tips for passing the media check

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 06 November 2006 16:36, Paul Howarth wrote:
Indeed, and turning off DMA doesn't always fix the problem either. Alan
Cox suggests just not bothering with the media check at all.

I don't see the need for it if the sha1sums have been checked. I always skip it.

That checks that you've downloaded the ISO images OK, but doesn't check that your media is burned correctly. Best way to do that is to grab the data back off the burned media, truncate the resulting file to the same length as the original ISO (not always necessary, depends on your hardware) and then run the sha1sum on that file.

Paul.