Re: KDE: 'safely remove' does not safely remove

Paul Smith wrote:

Do you wait for the pendrive icon vanishes from desktop or konqueror after
clicking "safely remove"? It may take some time to flush the pending data
write operations to the pendrive. It's safe to remove it only when the it's
icon disappear (i.e., when it's automatically unmounted).

The icon never disappears.

I think your problem is just that the Safely Remove process doesn't react well to handles being still open on the device, eg

 - stick a flash pen in and open it in Konqueror with the UI popup

- in a konsole, cd /media/disk or whereever it was mounted (determine with mount)

- then try to use the "Safely Remove" context menu on the desktop icon. For me it removes the menu item from the context menu, but does nothing: the pens is still mounted and the icon remains present, there is no activity on the pen.

- the Desktop icon representing the device does go away when the device is umounted by hand and pulled

Under these circumstances, eject says this immediately:

# eject /dev/sda1
umount: /media/disk: device is busy
umount: /media/disk: device is busy
eject: unmount of `/media/disk' failed

I separately tried to reproduce the proposed not flushing behaviour even after remounting without the sync option, but the icon correctly sat there until the whole 163MB test file was flushed to the pen, then disappeared. Which is good!

-Andy