Re: howto boot with a single gui app as the desktop ?

Tim wrote:
David Timms:
- if the viewer is exited, then vnc viewer should restart, waiting for a machine to connect to.
- has a way to exit the viewer.

Tim:
The above two seem mutually exclusive.  I imagine some sort of process
watchdog could check for a terminated VNC process and restart it.
Though you'd have to be careful of looping around restarting a crashed
process with faults.

David Timms:
I found the user can make two mistakes:
- tells the remote vnc desktop to logout - leaving the vnc-session alive, but showing only a back ground image. From my tests, this requires a vncserver -kill :1 and vncserver :1 to allow it to work again. {and a local machine logoff (ctrl-alt-backspace) to allow autologin/sessions startup to reconnect to the vncserver} - if the user activates the vnc viewer popup {F8}, Exit viewer can be selected. This disconnects the viewer session. A {ctrl-alt-backspace} gets the user connected to the vnc server again.

In |sessions|current sessions| there is an option to set a program style as restart. This didn't seem to work for vncviewer.

A simplistic solution might be to add a whacking great big "RESTART"
icon on the desktop, which either has the commands to start up VNC
again, or does a logout and relies on the auto-relogin process.

That gives users some fall back option if they get lost.
Good point, which fits with the keep it simple philosphy! And I could rename the launcher, and change the icon to anything; the user need not know what the icon is really doing ;)

Thanks again, DaveT.