Re: java in browser

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 17:41 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:
> > Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten to use it. I find that java
> > isn't seen, and that I have both versions 7 and 9 of shockwave. How do I
> > get rid of the version 7? Ric
>
> Look in .mozilla/firefox and/or /usr/lib/firefox<version>/plugins -
> remove the offender...
Here's what I found:
On the macromedia site the beta9 links kept pointing to a version #7!
I clicked all over their site, like a monkey on meth, and found a link
that actually offered a beta 9 that dnloaded a beta 9 tarball. After
opening it I copied that new file to /usr/lib/firefox-X.X.X/plugins
then to ~/.mozilla/plugins/ and /usr/lib/mozilla-X.X.X/plugins/
Whew! Covered ALL the bases. Now about:plugins shows flash version 9

Now I'm on to java again. This is the kinda stuff that is a pain in the
ass. A Royal Pain in the Ass. Mom wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in
Hell with this. My thinking is that if these kind folks actually knew
for certain in what directory their offering was to be put, by ALL of
the linux distros, it would then be a simple point n' click affair for
them to devise for Mom to install it. I pray we arrive at this point
someday. Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net