Re: OT: Good Linux script book ?

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 11:24, Kim Lux wrote:
> Sorry for the off topic post.   Does anyone know of a really good book
> that covers writing scripts ?
>
> Preferably this book will have lots of examples and covers some of the
> more esoteric and hidden stuff.
>
> Is this one any good ?
> http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Shell-Script-Programming-Meadors/dp/0619159200
>
> And no, I don't want to Perl for this stuff.

Keep in mind that shell makes a great wrapper for starting other
programs and gluing any number of them together, but usually
isn't the best choice for anything that needs a lot of
calculation or data storage.  If a perl program already exists
that does a step you need (and it probably does, CPAN has
everything...), use it.  Don't restrict yourself to the
legacy unix utility programs that you'll see used in shell
programming examples (sed, tr, cut, etc.) - you can run
anything you want for any step you want.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx