Re: Running own mail server

Jason Montleon wrote:
>> I think you'll find that trying to run OUTGOING mail from your server
>> will be a continuous exercise in frustration
>
> Before I started bouncing around the planet and decided to have my
> domain hosted, I was doing this, and ran into all the problems you
> described; mail being banned because of RBL's for netblocks of
> DSL/Cable Modem networks, the whole nine yards.  Very frustrating.
> But one system will accept your mail from the network you're on, that
> being your ISP's mail server.

Amen. I tried hosting my email locally and lasted for about 2 weeks
before I went back to using the ISP's SMTP server as my smarthost.

Finally, I moved to a dedicated server at a hosting company (to host
several websites) and now do run my own Postfix for both incoming and
outgoing mail.  However, I have several years experience as a Postfix
admin, and would not recommend it for someone without fairly deep
knowledge of the protocols and tools.

> it's hardly worth the hassle, although it can be quite a fun learning
> experience if you are patient.
Just don't learn at the expense of others.  A badly configured server
can cause collateral damage, both in increasing SPAM and blacklisting
innocent users that have IP addreses 'near' yours.