Re: SDRAM or DDRAM in linux

do you know what type of machine it is?

what processor? that will usually limit your RAM choices significantly..
and in most cases you can get a type..

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:15:46PM +0100, Sturla Holm Hansen (sturla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, August 28, 2006 18:40, Niklaus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I have access to a remote linux machine. I have a root account on it.
> >  I need to know whether the installed RAM is SDRAM or DDRAM.
> > Unfortunately i will be going to the site next month when i have to
> > upgrade the machine with  more capacity. Few of them are hardware
> > related but if you know the answer please help me.
> >
> > 1) How do i find out when the machine is online , if it is SDRAM or
> > DDRAM. I tried dmidecode utility but i was not sure about the type.
> > Can someone help me out by pasting the output for both DDR and SDRAM
> > in dmidecode or similar.
> >
> Can't help you with this one, sorry....
> > 2) Can both SDRAM and DDRAM be present at a time in the same
> > motherboard. I mean can i have 256MB of SDRAM chip and a 256 MB of
> > DDRAM on the same motherboard.
> >
> > If yes what are the conditions.
> >
> Most motherboards are designed for one type of RAM, those few who can use
> both can, as far as I have seen, just use one type at a time.
> >
> > 3) Is a motherboard designed for only one type of RAM , like if we
> > remove all the SDRAMs can we put DDR in it or it is either designed
> > for DDR or SDRAM.
> >
> As I said, most motherboards have just one type of RAM-slot...
> > Regards
> > Nik
> >
> Sturla
>
> --

Singer X.J. Wang, Ph.D. Candidate
Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University
6050 University Avenue, Halifax, NS, Canada, B3H 1W5
  Email:    swang@xxxxxxxxx
  Fax:      (902) 492-1517
  WWW:      http://www.singerwang.com
  Schedule: http://schedule.singerwang.com
  Tobor, its Robot spelled backwards.
	 - Product slogan for a toy called Tobor (circa 1978)