Re: Anonym Google

Hi!

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 02:44 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> You haven't read the various concerns about Google and privacy, then?
> >> If you use Google and Gmail, and allow cookies, there's a fair bet that
> >> they can easily database you.  After all, databasing is their business.
>
> Chris Mohler:
> > We're quickly headed off-topic, but what makes you think Yahoo, MSN,
> > et al aren't doing the same thing?
>
> I never said that *they* didn't.  Databasing is their business, too.
> What I took issue with, was David's, "anonymity isn't really an issue
> with search engines.  They don't record who you are," comment.
>
> While I'm yet to see a search engine that you directly log onto, there's
> enough ways that they *can* record who you are.  Particularly Google and
> the three that you've mentioned, simply because they all, also, provide
> webmail and instant messaging services.  And while there's no onus to
> provide true information, many will, and with enough databasing you
> could track back someone's pseudonym to somewhere they didn't use it.
> Google's verification via your mobile phone trick is one way.
>
> So to be brief, I'm not saying that they "do" (since I don't have any
> information to prove that one way or another), but they *potentially*
> can.
>
> --
> (Currently testing FC5, but still running FC4, if that's important.)

Thanks for you answers! At least Tim understand my concerns about the
search engines!
I am worry about the "net" is getting tighter and tighter...
Specially under the cloak of the war against terrorism in the European
Union.
In Germany is a discussion about using the logs(minimum 2 years they
keep the data of track of ALL emails, IPs and Mobildatas) to fight
violations of the copyright law...
So at first they make a law using the "stalking-horse" of terrorism and
a bit later they start discussing to use that data in the interests of
the content industry!
As i remember the US government has also a eye on google's intern
database...
Who can say what happens with the information, tracked today, tomorrow?

But this list has other concerns now (FC6) :-)

But thanks anyway,

Claus