Re: fc6 install fail on HP ProLiant ML320 G4

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 11:51 +0100, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 02/11/2006 alle 15.12 +1000, Res ha scritto:
>
> > what happens if you start it in runlevel 3 ?
> I can't start it in runlevel 3 because the server is not installed.
>
> > Can I ask why on earth you are using a GUI on this device?
> For install it and create some LVM filesystem
>
> > thats one heck of an expensive 'desktop' ;)
> Yes it's a server, and when it is installed run it in init 3
>
> Some suggest?

Hi Dario,

If it is going to be a server, you may want to install in text mode
instead of graphical, first. After the installation is complete, test
that you have a working system, by rebooting (you'll have to do this
anyway). Then add packages that you need using yum. This way, you can
somewhat control the number of applications and libraries that get
installed.

Of course, all this depends on whether or not you are comfortable
working on the command line, and are reasonably familiar with Linux
commands and Linux in general. If you are more comfortable with a GUI,
using the command line for all tasks may sometimes feel like you are
flying blind. I can understand that, because it was one of the barriers
I had to overcome when I first made the switch from Windows to
Slackware, many years ago.

If you're on a deadline (and who isn't?), and you're more comfortable
with the GUI, then try using the vesa driver instead and get the whole
system setup from there. It is still very worthwhile for you to learn to
use the command line, because you will need it eventually for remote
administration, using SSH.

Regards,
pascal chong