Re: Help - Grey Screen

joelhp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did try >linux text and >linux nofb to no avail and then ended up using an
adapter to a vga monitor from the DVI out and just used a standard vga monitor
and it seems to be installing fine so far.  I hope later to be able to get the
driver working for my monitor after the full install.

Ah well that's not too bad, looks like it was just coming out of the other head in the end.

A separate question,  If I had the choice to install Fedora onto an intel/mac
rather than the G5 dual 2.7 I have now, could I be limiting my ability to grow
with linux releases and functionality by staying with the non-intel chip?  I am
trying to avoid building myself into a box (yes..pun intended) that could raise
issues in the future if those issues could be eliminated with the newer
intel/mac.  The overall object of this install was to turn this box into a
reliable testing server for beta postgresql projects.

PowerPC appears to be, well, not dying, but moving into non-PC niches like Xilinx FPGAs and Playstation 3, so I guess the main worry would be about Fedora eventually dropping support for it in the next years. I guess if it costs something to move to Intel, I would stick with the PowerPC box for now since you mainly want serving action from it which should be easy to deliver well, and if PowerPC continues its decline you can move in a couple of years. Yellowdog is a distro that is predicated around PowerPC so you could always migrate to that as a backup plan. But if it costs nothing to use an Intel box, you are on a safer bet with Fedora on an Intel architecture I would think.

-Andy