Re: mount doesn't mount on boot-up

Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a guess, the partition label is screwed up.  The OS uses this
> statement in fstab to attempt the mount at boot:
>
> LABEL=/home/cj/archive  /home/cj/archive  ext3    defaults     1 2

This is supposedly what should work, if I'm reading all the man pages correctly - that's the entry that had been created automatically by whatever process does that

> and, somehow, the label gets mapped to /dev/sdb1.  But this is what works:
>
> mount -t ext2 -w /dev/sdc1 /home/cj/archive

Here's where the mystery begins - that command *does* work, but, it's incorrect! The file system is ext3 not ext2 - I know they're related, but, I just experimented, and I can mount manually using that command with either ext2 OR ext3???
You can mount an ext3 file system as either ext2 or ext3. If mounted as ext2, you just don't get journaling. So, just change your mount command to "-t ext3" and you *should* get journaling.

> Definitely not the same.  A quick fix is to just change fstab to use the
> device definition that works:
>
> /dev/sdc1	/home/cj/archive  ext3    defaults     1 2

I've tried this, but, it still doesn't work -
Hmmmm. Doesn't make sense. The system uses the information in fstab to construct a mount instruction that should be identical to what you're providing on the command line.

> I'm guessing there is a user program such as diskdruid to change the
> partition label.  Unfortunately, I don't know what it is.  Perhaps
> someone else on the list can enlighten both of us.

tune2fs is supposed to be able to do this, but I couldn't grasp the explanation of how it works well enough to attempt it when I tried in somewhat of a hurry a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks. I always wondered how to set a partition label. The pertinent part of the man page for tune2fs says:

      -L volume-label
Set the volume label of the file system. Ext2 file system labels can be at most 16 characters long; if volume-label is longer than 16 characters, tune2fs will truncate it and print a warn- ing. The volume label can be used by mount(8), fsck(8), and /etc/fstab(5) (and possibly others) by specifying LABEL=vol- ume_label instead of a block special device name like /dev/hda5.

You should (there's that magic word again) be able to do something like:

tune2fs -L /home/cj/archive /dev/sdc1

From what you said earlier, the system seems to think that /home/cj/archive is the volume label for /dev/sdb1. I'm guessing the above will fail with an error saying this. I didn't see anything about how to remove an existing label although you could probably just use tune2fs to apply a different label to /dev/sdb1. One other thing. /home/cj/archive is exactly 16 characters long which is the limit for labels. I'm always suspicious when something fails right at a boundary like this. You may want to try a shorter label like just "archive" since the label is just a name (the system defaults to using the mount point as the name). Make sure that the fstab entry and the label match.

Cheers,
Dave