Re: FC6 AIGLX Issue: title bar missing from windows

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:39:49 -0800, Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:

> I upgraded a reasonably fresh install of FC5 (clean installation done a
> little more than a month ago) to FC6 on Thursday and have been trying to
> tinker around with the AIGLX/compiz features, but right away noticed a
> problem: the title bar and window borders were missing. (See
> http://bbnk.dhs.org/~rrodgers/aiglx_no_titlebar.png .) At first, I
> thought it was just me, that I didn't know if the title bar had now been
> separated or if the GUI had been made to be more Mac like, but it
> bothered me that I could no longer resize or move windows. So I disabled
> the desktop effects for the time being.
>
> A few minutes ago I logged in as root to do a few minor things very
> quickly, and just for the heck of it enabled the desktop effects again.
> I was pleasantly surprised to see the title bars and borders return to
> the windows, and was able to use everything properly with wobbly
> windows. I cheered; perhaps there was some sort of library dependency
> that needed to be cleared up by a reboot (which I had done before
> logging in as root). So I logged out as soon as I could and logged in as
> my normal user, re-enabled the desktop effects and was once again
> disappointed to see that my title bars and borders were gone.
>
> So, obviously, this is going to be a permissions issue... Can anyone
> point me in the right direction as to which files need to have their
> permissions changed, and to what those permissions should be?

I had the same problem. My xorg.conf contained all the stuff like:

Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

and

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "true"
EndSection

but it still didn't work. Yet when I downloaded and compiled Beryl (a
Compiz fork) locally... that worked fine. So it didn't seem to be a
problem with the drivers or X. I couldn't figure out what was wrong... but
eventually I found a forum post that said to add this:

        Option      "AIGLX" "true"

To the Section "ServerLayout", and then restart X. I have no idea why this
was required, but it worked for me with compiz. Choosing GNOME menu ->
System -> Preferences -> Desktop Effects now results in a functioning
compiz with window borders. Why Beryl worked ok without it is a mystery.

It's just a shame that compiz interferes with Tremulous (a fps) and makes
it all jerky... or I'd probably use it in place of metacity. I can't
figure that one out -- I'd expect the window manager to get out of the way
once a game as gone full screen.