Re: mount doesn't mount on boot-up

Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm saying that if I mount the drive manually, it works. If I reboot the machine, the drive fails to mount. I see a few error messages during boot-up and it says mount failed. When the machine comes back up to the desktop, I can then mount manually again, without problem. My fstab: LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2 devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/home/cj/archive /home/cj/archive ext3 defaults 1 2 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 LABEL=SWAP-sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0 What is strange is the fact that the system tries to use /sdb1 instead of /sdc1 on reboot, even though the drive was manually mounted using /sdc1
-- Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA
As a guess, the partition label is screwed up. The OS uses this statement in fstab to attempt the mount at boot:

LABEL=/home/cj/archive  /home/cj/archive  ext3    defaults     1 2

and, somehow, the label gets mapped to /dev/sdb1.  But this is what works:

mount -t ext2 -w /dev/sdc1 /home/cj/archive

Definitely not the same. A quick fix is to just change fstab to use the device definition that works:

/dev/sdc1	/home/cj/archive  ext3    defaults     1 2

I'm guessing there is a user program such as diskdruid to change the partition label. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is. Perhaps someone else on the list can enlighten both of us.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce