Re: Timezone weirdness on dual boot machine

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, David Scriven wrote:

I'm running FC6 & Win XP on a dual boot machine - Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 965 chipset

There a weird situation with the clock which shows up when I go from FC6 to Win XP and back. If the clock is correct in FC6 and you go to XP the clock is eight hours fast. If it is then corrected and you go back to FC6, it is eight hours slow. The zones are set correctly for both systems - Pacific Time zone = GMT-8, so my guess is that FC6 is not correctly interpreting the timezone info when reading the system clock.

Anybody else come across this? - Is there something that I should set (or check whether it's been set)?

What's in /etc/sysconfig/clock?

If UTC=true, then Linux will store UTC (GMT) in the hardware clock on shutdown. Windows only understands local time in the hardware clock. The Time Zone tab of system-config-date has a checkbox to set UTC or local time.

Note that having the hardware clock set to local time on a dual-boot machine can be annoying around the daylight savings changes.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu