Re: Media Check errors on Fedora Core 6

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:34:28 -0500
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thompson Freeman wrote:
> >
> > Another of my silly little "challenges". As in things aren't quite
> > working as expected 8-/.
> >
> > I have downloaded the cd isos for FC-6, and the sha1sums of the
> > images test as good. I have burned to cd two complete sets of cds,
> > and gotten one cd to pass the media check step. _Everything_ else
> > fails, and fails multiple times.
> > I have looked at bugzilla and not found mention of this being a
> > problem as it has in the past with fedora.
> >
> > Is anyone else having similar challenges, or should I assume the
> > problem is entirely on this end?
> >
> > As a side issue, how would I get the sha1sum of the burned cd? I
> > believe that should remain the same as the image file, or am I
> > completely a sea?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help
>
> As a hopefully useful additional datapoint...
>
> I've done very similar, but with the DVD image, having done:
>
> 1) Downloaded DVD ISO of FC6 via bittorrent
>
> 2) Verified the SHA1SUM of the image
>
> 3) Burned it to DVD+R and used the verification feature of the burn
>     software to ensure the image burned correctly.
>
> 4) Booted off DVD and attempted to install over top of an existing FC5
>     install.
>
> The first attempt got as far as bringing up disk druid where I planned
> to custom partition.  The installation hung with a kernel BUG()
> assertion which was dumped to one of the consoles.  Anaconda et al.
> was no longer functional, however VC switching still worked.
>
> The second attempt got slightly further, allowing me to select my
> partitioning scheme in disk druid, however when I selected "Next" to
> leave disk druid and proceed, the installation hung again, this time
> with a fairly large python traceback.
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't have my digital camera handy at the time, and
> wasn't able to capture the details for a proper bug report yet.  When
> time permits, I'm going to attempt a 3rd install with camera in hand
> and try to capture useful details to dump in bugzilla.  For the mean
> time, I thought it might be useful to share this here in case it helps
> others pinpoint down any problems.
>
> This system is a 2.8Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Northwood, with an i865
> chipset, PATA drives.  Currently running FC5 and another OS without
> trouble.
>
> I'll dump more info into bugzilla when I can reproduce it again.

I have had similar issues, the problem was at my end. A media check
with one box/cd gave me a fail and the same disk with a media check in
another box passed.  The problem was the box/drive that failed was an
older box and did not like to read rw CDs.  I have also occasionally
found the same problem  with some regular read CDs.  Before you assume
your download or burn was bad do a media check on a newer box/cd drive.