Re: Fedora Core 6 ROCKS ! Salute to the developers !

Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 20:44 -0700, David G. Miller wrote:

Works well for user apps but I lived through the evolution of ipfwadm -> ipchains -> iptables. Need to be careful with system stuff. It would be nice to see core functionality supported for upgrades even if every oddball app isn't. One of the arguments against supporting upgrades is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That is, once a release supports a platform, why change. As with my laptop example, there are good reasons to upgrade from an OS release that only marginally supports a hardware platform to one that fully supports it. Let's hope somebody at Fedora/RH listens.
All the more reason to use the old timey /usr/local system
upgrades won't touch it. Maybe we need to adjust our tinfoil and go
retro, the old timers had methodologies that may need revisiting. Ric

That approach worked a lot better before X. Something like the change from XFree86 to X.org screws everything up since a lot of users like WIMP interfaces. Same for any significant change to the GUI.

It would be nice to see something like:

1) Critical system functionality -> gets upgraded.
2) Common applications -> upgraded or at least at reasonable stab at it.
3) Other stuff -> install new config and save the old as rpmsave.

The goal would be that a functioning system gets upgraded to the new OS release that, for the most part, works. That is, everything works but it's possible that some settings are left to the admin/user to bring forward.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce