Re: FC5: video resolution problem

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 12:32 -0400, starcycle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 10/28/06, Myles Green <rmg57@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, put grub.conf back to it's original content (replace the vga=775
> > line with vga=normal) and modify the "screen" section in
> > your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look like this:
> >
> > Section "Screen"
> >         Identifier "Screen0"
> >         Device     "Card0"
> >         Monitor    "Monitor0"
> >         DefaultDepth     24
> >         SubSection "Display"
> >                 Viewport   0 0
> >                 Depth     24
> >                 Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> >         EndSubSection
> > EndSection
> >
> > FWIW, all I did was to add the "1280x1024" and "1024x768" entries in
> > the 'Modes' line and then restart X and you should end up with your
> > desired resolution(s).
>
> i did that, too, but it won't start X with anything higher than
> 800x600 in the Modes line. when it didn't work manually, i changed it
> in the gui, but when i restarted it just went to a blank screen until
> i changed it back to 800x600. then i modified grub with the vga line,
> and as i said it worked at 1280x1024, but then no hardware
> acceleration anymore. Xorg.0.log complained about the h/vsync, but i'm
> using the values provided by samsung. i'm completely baffled. :?:

The newer xorg uses the values reported by the monitor to select mode
lines.  If yours is not being read correctly it dumbs down to one that
does work.
IIRC, you can put a line similar to this in the monitor section of
xorg.conf to override the automatic config of the monitor
	OPTION	"noddc" "1"
Which tells xorg to ignore the scanned values and to use the specified
ones instead.

You should also file a bug for info with the xorg site so they can get
more info from those monitors that are not currently scanned correctly
and update the X server properly.