Re: What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?/Keeping home separate

Tim wrote:

> James Wilkinson:
>>> One obvious thing to note: data in /tmp gets wiped each time you reboot
>>> the machine. I actually find this really helpful -- I find I do create a
>>> number of temporary files which won't need to last beyond a reboot.
>
> Timothy Murphy:
>> This certainly isn't true on my laptop, which I boot daily, eg
>>
>> [tim@martha ~]$ ls -ls /tmp/gfaq.pdf
>> 344 -rw------- 1 tim tim 344131 Oct 10 12:56 /tmp/gfaq.pdf
>
> Wasn't it James who said he used tmpfs for his /tmp?  That's using RAM,
> not disk, for /tmp, so theirs would go away on a reboot.

OK, I probably mis-understood the posting.
I know that a lot of Unix systems do delete the contents of /tmp
on re-booting, and I was just pointing out that this is not true of Fedora.

>> Is there some setting for this?
>
> Ordinarily, /tmp file get cleared by a cron job that checks for files
> that haven't been accessed recently.  There's a configurable time period
> for when something is considered old enough to be deleted.

Yes, I don't have any very old files in /tmp,
so that seems to be working fine for me.
Maybe I should apply it to some other directories, eg Desktop!

Thanks for the enlightenment.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366