Re: What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?/Keeping home separate

linux wrote:

> I want to install FC6 on my laptop.  When I install I usually do a
> complete new install instead of an update.  For example when going from
> FC4 to FC5, I did a new install.  how can I partition my hd so that I
> can keep  /home and not overwrite it?  Do I make it a separate
> partition?  What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?

	There's probably as many partition schemes as there are people to think
of them.  There isn't a consensus but some rules of thumb are around.  I
will tell you my preferences and you can go from there when others post
theirs.

Desktop/Laptop
==============
/
/boot
/home

Server
======
/
/boot
/home
/usr
/usr/local
/var
/var/spool

And, OC, the swap partition on both.

	One thing to remember when doing an "upgrade" by reinstalling is that
you might want to save /etc/* somewhere so you don't have to fight with
configuring everything again.