Re: OT: Looking for wood-grain patterns

Kam Leo wrote:
On 10/25/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kam Leo wrote:

> Have you tried purchasing sheets or rolls of veneer that match the faux
> wood.

Veneer is wood. These people want like original materials. This
means paper with wood grain printed on it, then stained to look
like wood.

[snip]

My understanding of your post was that you are looking for large wood
grain pattern(s). My solution is for you to purchase veneer to get the
pattern(s). (It's about the only way you are going to get a large
pattern of an exotic wood.) You take a photograph of the flattened
veneer under diffused light, use gimp or other image processing
software to match the color, and send the file to a press to have the
pattern printed on appropriate stock.

Ah, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

What you are trying to do is not new. Pros do this type of work all
the time using Macs or PCs and expensive software.

Yes, expensive, ok.

If you are really serious get color calibration hardware and software
so the resultant product meets your expectations.

Well, you know, the sets that used this technique were the cheapos
in the first place! They are worth $80 to maybe $200 USD today,
in good (not refinished, but good original finish) and repaired
condition.

Good idea if it would work. I know nothing about image manipulation.
The few times I've tried something like that the results were
dark smears. But I'll pass this along to my buddy. It's a "labor
of love" anyway, I suspect.

Thanks very much for the response.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.