Re: OT: the rm bug hit me again

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:28:07 -0700
Gordon Messmer <yinyang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Think "bug" like "sickness", not "bug" like "flaw".

I was stumped for a moment by the reference to the "rm bug".
Apparently it had been around for a while, I just could not figure out
why I had never heard of it, after a while I realized the play on
words.  Reminded me of my days in Civil Engineering School, we had long
complex calculations to enter into hand held calculators, frequently one
would enter a wrong digit or so and the entire calculation would be
wrong with no real way of spotting the error.  We usually referred to
these errors a "button punch disease" - no we did not have the flu but
when it happened in the middle of an exam we certainly felt like we did.