Re: How do I detect a blanc USB disk

On 10/25/06, Uno Engborg <uno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to connect a new unformatted disk, using usb to fc5.
Now I intend to partion this drive using fdisk. The question is
how do I know what device it will get?

I suppose it should be something likde /dev/sda as other USB drives I
connect
seam to use SCSI emulation. But if I try fdisk /dev/sda and the rest of
the alphabet
nothing shows up.

Regards
Uno Engborg

Hi Uno Engborg!

This found googling "format usb hard drive linux"

# General Tutorial
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Add_a_new_hard_drive

These I found by Googleing "blank usb disk linux":

# One hard for the 2.4 series Kernel
http://users.actrix.co.nz/michael/neodeo.html

# For a flash drive but issues are similar
http://www.althack.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=27

I would be interested in looking at system and messages in /var/log
along with dmesg, also there are usb query tools:

http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html

http://www.linux-usb.org/

http://www.linux-usb.org/tools.html

Good Hunting!