Re: FYI: Workaround for today's FC5 baseurl/mirrorlist problems

> > If the mirrorlist returned didn't go out of its way to defeat
> > caching proxies there would be a lot less reason for the
> > servers to be overloaded.
>
> You make it sound like as if this is a deliberate thing.

Isn't it deliberate that you make the URL's to the same package
different every time someone requests them?  For caching proxies
to work, the URL needs to stay the same.

> If you found
> problems, file bug reports. If you are talking about the mirror list
> posted now, that system is pretty new so helps to keep that in mind.

I've mentioned it on the yum list, and on the Centos list where
the 3.x series uses round-robin DNS to spread load (and is
hundreds of times faster on every run but the first behind a
proxy) and the 4.x uses a mirrorlist.  From the nature of the
product I'd expect Centos to be more likely than Fedora to have
large numbers of users updating at the same time behind the
same proxy, but I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, so far
no one has been concerned enough about the server load or
the client speed to make any effort to make clients behind
the same proxy get the same URLs.

> > The operations are not the same.  Apt-get update just updates the
> > list available in the repository.  And that step isn't repeated for
> > every other operation like yum does (slowly, slowly, slowly...).
>
> Yum doesnt connect to the repository everytime. Only if the metadata
> expires which is a configurable setting. If you want to run from cache
> you can also use yum -C <operation>. You might want to try out Yum 3.0
> in FC6.

Sorry - I have trouble keeping up with programs whose options change
wildly from version to version. I'd need a cheat sheet to know which
machine does/doesn't work that way.  Here's a fairly up to date FC5:
# yum -C update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core
[1/6]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx