Re: OT: the rm bug hit me again

Joe Klemmer wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:

   Oh well, guess it was my turn to play "crusty old phart who does
stupid newbie move" today.  :-)

What bug?  rm did exactly what you told it to do.  The "bug" is not in the
command but in the person using it.

	That was, of course, the very point I made with this post.  Obviously
the "bug" is a PEBKAC.  I guess I need to use more than just a smiley to
indicate humor.  Everyone is so serious these days.

The first time I encountered this was when we were running
Mt. Xinu on some VAXen in about 1984. I was working for a
marketing research company, and the people adiministering
the machine had NOT A CLUE about security and *NIX type
machines. They had more or less ordinary people running with
root priviledge. All users were created that way. Also, no
aliases for commands, we ran raw shell. Also, there was no
particular directory structure. Everything hung off of /.
About once a month someone would type in

# rm / fred/*
rm: cannot remove `fred': No such file or directory

Then...

# ls /fred
ls: command not found

Mike