Re: Upgrading from RedHat (7.2)

Todd Simi <tsimi <at> speakeasy.net> writes:
> Is there an method of upgrade from RedHat 7.2 to FC5 that won't
> require a backup and selective restore after completely overwriting
> the OS that's on it right now?

You might try this:
* upgrade to FC1 with Anaconda
* clean up the mess
* upgrade to FC2 or FC3 with Anaconda (if you have low RAM, you'll want to use
FC3 here, FC2's Anaconda is more memory-hungry)
* clean up the mess if any (shouldn't be much in this step)
* upgrade to FC5 or FC6 with Anaconda (hopefully you've got enough RAM,
Anaconda's RAM requirements increased again with FC5 due to the new yum
backend). You might have to use selinux=0 in Anaconda.
* clean up the mess if any (shouldn't be that bad either)

I know for a fact that direct RHL7.3 -> FC1 and FC2 -> FC5 updates work (at
least for some configurations - I don't run any server packages, so I don't
know what the caveats are for these, make sure you read the release notes of
all intermediary releases - in particular, databases might require some manual
migration effort) because I tried these (not on the same machine though). And
7.2 isn't that different from 7.3, so I'd expect RHL 7.2 -> FC1 to work too.

        Kevin Kofler