RE: Upgrading from RedHat (7.2)

> Hi Todd
> >
> > Is there an method of upgrade from RedHat 7.2 to FC5 that won't
> > require a backup and selective restore after completely overwriting
> > the OS that's on it right now?
> >
> I am afraid not, the differences are too overwhelming.
> Backup, install afresh and restore is the only path

Make sure you take a backup of /etc on it's own that you can restore
to /tmp.  You do not want to restore it over the FC5 /etc, but you
may want to fish out data from your /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/samba,
/etc/resolve.conf, and other config files.

I tried upgrade mode from RH8 to FC4 and it was too much of a change to
produce a running system.  The copy of /etc really helped get my web server,
samba server, and accounts back up in a hurry.

Bob Styma