Re: IBM TSM Client on FC3

On 10/23/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good morning all,

I'm hoping there might be someone out here using FC3 with a
2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 kernel and running IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for
backups???

I'm running the TSM Client version 5.3.2 on this machine and every night
during my scheduled backup window, the machine locks up hard!  I've got
it listed in /etc/inittab as a respawn process but the box is locked
hard.

If I take it out of inittab and run and incremental backup manually,
life is good; no lockups.  The IBM guys don't have a clue and of course
we all know how well they support Fedora.

TIA,

:b!

Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx || brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }
--
> This is a test.  This is only a test!
 Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been
 told to cancel this test and seek professional assistance!

Hi Brian D. McGrew!

I wish I were closer to what you are looking for but with no responses
so far I thought I would do what I could.

1. You probably already have tried ctl+alt+F1 (or F2 - F6) to obtain a
log in prompt.  True hard lockups in Linux are not that common and the
prompt is a good place to do a bit of looking around.  This is from
memory but I believe ctl+alt+F7 will attempt to return you to an X
environment (if you use one).

2. The /var/log directory is filled with logging files (messages,
kernel, system, dmesg) which may well contain information about what
happened near or at the time the "crash" occurred.  The "tail" command
reads the last ten lines (or more if you specify - see "man tail") and
"less" allows to read the file.

3.  Google is your friend.  Google your hardware, version of Linux,
and the specific application with error (not necessarily all at once).
You also might look for a program which would run your application in
a trace enviornment.

Good Hunting!

Tod