Re: Hanging GUI

Hi Mark,

2006/10/23, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Okay everyone, I have a really odd problem.  I have a FC box that's
simply not bringing up a full login GUI.  It's defaulted to GNOME, but
for some reason that I can't find it's just showing a blue screen with a
rotating hourglass.

Now, the system itself has had a working GUI for quite a while until
this last reboot.  I'm not totally upset over the lack of GUI since it's
a server, but is there a way to restart GUI?  I can't find xdm or gdm to
restart, so I'm lost on this.

Or, even better, is there a way to force this box to boot to runlevel 3
instead of 5?  I've never done that before, so I'm not sure the easiest
way to do it in FC.

First you can try to stop the current GUI session using CTRL + ALT + BackSpace
Then open a terminal session with ALT + 1 and log as root. Now you can modify your inittab in /etc and specify 3 as runlevel

HTH

Alessandro

--
Alessandro Brezzi