Re: PPPOE config problem at boot

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 15:17 +0530, osric fernandes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Fedora Core 5 and I am connected to the internet using a
> cable broadband connection.
>
> I have configured the connection using system-cofig-network by first
> creating an Ethernet connection that uses static ip. Running pppoe -A
> gives me a list of access concentrators in which worldnet001 is
> mentioned (this is same as the service name that I use to create a
> pppoe connectoid in winxp using raspppoe). Next, I created an xDSL
> connection in system-config-network. I made the appropriate settings
> and I am able to connect.
>
> However the problem occurs whenever I boot my system. At booting it shows me
>
> Bringing up interface ppp0          [ OK ]
>
> But when I try to browse sites I am not able to do so. If I open
> system-config-network it shows that the device ppp0 is active. If I
> deactivate it and reactivate it, then I am able to browse websites. I
> am not able to understand why the link doesn't come up at boot. It
> used to connect at boot previously, but then I tinkered with some
> settings and I don't know what I did, but I am not able to get it to
> connect it at boot. Please give me your suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
> OSRIC XAVIER FERNANDES

You might try going to = System > Network ( configuration) > Edit.
At - Automatically obtain IP settings......... see if you are on dhcp or
bootp. (Directions for gnome)   Try bootp  - though I have no experience
with cable - only dsl.  Check the advanced tab also = idle time out and
restart if connection dies.     --------gary