Re: Grub boot problem ofter FC4 -> FC5 upgrade

At 12:10 PM +0200 10/18/06, Marnix wrote:
>Hi,
>
>After an unsuccesfull FC4 -> FC5 upgrade I find myself in the
>following situation:
>
>My server has two IDE disks hda and hdc. When it boots I see "GRUB"
>alone on the screen and then it stops. I think that means that grub is
>not able to find stage1_5 or stage2 loader. Grub used to be installed
>(FC4) on a seperate /boot partition which was a metadevice md3
>mirrored on two devices: hda1 and hdc1. When I boot from rescue CD and
>I and try to reïnstall grub on hda I get an error message:
>
># grub --no-floppy
>grub> find /grub/stage1
> (hd0,0)
> (hd1,0)
>
>grub> root (hd0,0)
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
>
>grub> setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
> Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
> Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
> Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5"" exists... yes
> Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 15 sectors are embedded.
>succeeded
> Runing "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
>/grub/grub.conf"... failed
>
>Error 22: No such partition
>
>I tried swapping the 2 disks, turning hda into hdc and vice versa, but
>then the word "GRUB" does not even appear on the screen, so probably
>hdc does not have an MBR at all.
>
>I want to be very carefull with hdc because I know it still contains
>all filesystems with all data, because these are mounted as
>metadevices under /mnt/sysimage when running from rescue CD.
>
>What should I do next?

AIUI, you are booting hda directly, with no separate boot partition.

Try the automatic method:  boot the Rescue CD, chroot /mnt/sysimage,
grub-install /dev/hda.  I don't see any mistakes in what you used, but
perhaps this will work.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>