Re: Post-install problems w/FC5 on Sun Fire x4200

David Nedrow wrote:
I've run into a really odd problem installing FC5 on a Sun Fire x4200.

The 4200 is a dual AMD64 with an SAS RAID controller (SAS1064) from LSI.

The RAID controller has four drives configured as two logical, mirrored volumes.

The FC5 installation goes without a hitch, but after rebooting I never get a grub display.

I've tried installing grub to both the MBR and the boot partition with no difference.

If I don't configure logical volumes on the RAID controller, FC5 installs and boots without a problem.

Has anyone successfully installed FC5 on an x4200 with mirrored drives?

Any tips would be appreciated.

-David

--fedora-list mailing list
Yes, I installed Fc5 with only two drives in a mirror.  Worked like a champ.
As I recall, I was installing from a Unity Respin.
http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/torrents

I tried raid 0 and raid 1. Only had two drives so I could not test raid 0+1. I ended up doing most of my tests on a single drive config with i686 on one drive and x86_64 on the other.

I ran a series of spec oriented and office use, desktop use, developer use, and database use benchmarks on the systems in both 32 and 64 bit mode.

I used kernel builds and gcc builds for the developer tests.

Although my employer would not like it if I published official results, I will say that this was a comparison of servers from HP, SUN, DELL, and white box.

After the testing I concluded:

The SUN box is a good purchase decision even though it is almost twice the cost of the white box we tested. The construction and quality of the box is excellent, and performance is top notch. The only downside was the NOISE! :)

Also, I was interested in performance of 64bit vs 32bit and found that the AMD Opeteron and X2 processors like 64bit better than 32bit. Or rather, I liked the performance better.

The intel based Dell servers that I tested tested were just the opposite. They preferred running in 32bit mode.

YMMV, of course.