Re: Open gnome-terminal as a cron job

On 10/17/06, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today Dylan Semler did spake thusly:

> Basically, I have a program that searches certain bittorrent sites for
> new torrents that I usually like.  When it finds one, I want it to
> open a new terminal and run bittorrent-console in that terminal to
> start downloading the torrent.

Have you considered using one of the many bittorrent command line tools
instead? I use rtorrent for grabbing stuff when I'm stuck in a terminal
window, saves on the overhead of X...am guessing that'd be scriptable in a
far easier way...

bittorrent-console is command line, and scripting it isn't too difficult:
gnome-terminal -x bittorrent-console <torrent file>.  However, that is
pretty much the extent of it--there's no way to make adjustments to
torrents already in progress without killing them first.  I have been
looking for a better command line bittorrent app so maybe I'll check
out rtorrent.  Thanks.

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak: