Re: Open gnome-terminal as a cron job

On 10/17/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dylan Semler wrote:
> I'm tryng to run a cron job that will open a terminal.  The following
> is my user crontab (from crontab -e)
>

> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> MAILTO=Dylan
> HOME=/
> DISPLAY=:0
>
> 15 0-23 * * * gnome-terminal
>

> A terminal never opens, and I get the following error in
> /var/spool/mail/root (shouldn't it be in .../mail/Dylan??)

The way email addresses are handled, user names with uppercase
letters are a bad idea. By default, the name is converted to all
lowercase before it is delivered. So Dylan will never get mail, but
dylan will.

Ah.  I guess I'll just have to deal with this.

You are running into the security restrictions of the X server.
Normally, only the user that is currently logged into X can run
programs that connect to the X server. If you are running the cron
job as the user that is logged in, it may work if you leave HOME set
to the user's home directory instead of changing it to /. That way,
the proper authentication file is found that lets a program connect.

That fixed it.  Thanks a lot for the help.

If you explain what you are trying to do, we can probably help you
find a better way to do it. I can not picture what you are trying to
do by opening a terminal from a cron job.

Basically, I have a program that searches certain bittorrent sites for
new torrents that I usually like.  When it finds one, I want it to
open a new terminal and run bittorrent-console in that terminal to
start downloading the torrent.

Thanks again.
--
Dylan