Re: Problems with external display

Thanks. It's fixed. I did the commenting out you mentioned but was
sidetracked by my boss, forgot to test if that was enough. I then
installed kmod-fglrx, enabled it and restarted X. Whichever it was did
the trick, my display setup is perfect.

Cheers!

ED

On 10/16/06, Kwan Lowe <kwan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Latitude D600 with the infamous ATI Radeon card. I just did a
> complete rebuild of my system (FC5) and can't get the external monitor
> to work.
[snip]

> This happened with my last install too at one point, but a reboot
> fixed the problem. No such luck this time around.

I have an Inspiron 600m and experienced the same issue. It has some sort of Radeon,
but I don't know the specifics. My external does 1280x1024 but was showing only
1024x768. To fix, I manually edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and added
"1280x1024" in the Display section for the second monitor and disabled the HorizSync
and VertRefresh (commented them out) so that it could auto-detect.  E.g.:

Find the line that reads
....   "1024x768"  "800x600"

Change to
       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

Comment out the HorizSync and VertRefresh for the external.