Re: Firefox - How to play wmv files?

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 02:39 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> I've come to realize that every darn Saturday my name server goes down
> for some reason and I have to reboot the DSL modem, reboot the
> machine, curse and swear at it a bit and finally after an hour or so
> of this abuse, it comes back up.

Back when I was using FC3, I would find that I would have to restart
named after it'd been running for a week, or more.  It'd apparently be
working, but produce no answers for resolving my ISP's news server.
X would, also, need restarting every few days, or the system would grind
to a crawl.

Since updating to FC4, those problems went away, and I could leave a
session logged in for days.  The only long-length problem I'd notice
would be if I'd left Firefox running.

I haven't played with servers, much, on FC5, but it seems similar to
FC4.  I can leave it running for days, and it's fine.  I can stay logged
in for prolonged periods, and its fine.  Firefox still romps through the
memory, badly, if it's left running for prolonged periods.

There's other things far worse with FC5 than FC4 that means that FC4
stays on my systems, and FC5 is just an experiment waiting to get its
act together.  The FC5 top annoyances that spring to mind:

Can only double-click a few times on folders or files in gFTP, after
that it is unresponsive - you have to use the enter key, instead.

99 times out of 100, when using gvim, the file browser always starts
from ~ rather than the current or last directory (that's a right pain in
the arse when you want to work on a website, each file has to be
navigated to).

It's impossible to write replies in Pan, as the system use is maxed out
with each keystroke.

Stellarium is a major resource hog, and far too slow to use (this being
on FC5 with a 1.4 GHz P4 & 512 megs RAM, compared to a 500 MHz Celeron
with around 256 megs of RAM, and the scummy i810 graphics chipset - in
which I could whiz the pictures around with ease, and still do other
things on the PC).

--
(Currently running FC4, but testing FC5, if that's important.)

I read messages from the public lists.