Re: Firefox - How to play wmv files?

On Sat October 14 2006 1:23 pm, roland wrote:
> I downloaded opera from the site of opera, installed it and
> played .wmv files.
> I only can play this from the linux console not within VNC.
> Strange thing is that opera opens the .wmv file if you click on
> it on the web page but not if you open the file in
> $HOME/.opera/temporary_download If you click right on it and
> choose mplayer it will open it.

OK, Roland. I've just tried installing it and playing a selection
of video files, but no success. I tried video from cnn.com
larouchepac.com news.bbc.co.uk

The CNN page just pops the "No Windows Media Player Detected"
window, which takes you to M$ if you click on the button
The larouchepac.com videos pop an Opera dialog which asks what I
want to do - selecting "Open" opens mplayer, but, then nothing
happens
The BBC video popped the which media do you want to use dialog; I
tried realmedia first, but that produced an error message when it
tried to play the actual file; then, I changed it Windows Media,
and it didn't get past fully opening the play window before it
just stalled with the window half open

> Now, why does he or she does it on my installation and not in
> yours? I installed serveral plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla which
> are apparently used by opera.
> In Tools->Advanced->Plugins I find the following plugins:
>
> Shockwave Flashapplication/futuresplash	spl
> application/x-shockwave-flash	swf
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> NS4PluginProxyapplication/x-opera-nsplugin	-
> /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
>
> Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In
> Compatibleaudio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin	rpm
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so

My plugins look the same except I don't have Adobe Reader:

Shockwave Flashapplication/futuresplash	spl
application/x-shockwave-flash	swf
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

NS4PluginProxyapplication/x-opera-nsplugin	-
/usr/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In
Compatibleaudio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin	rpm
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so

> Could you check this and if it still does not work I can look
> further or back in my history how I installed the plugins
>
> Roland

Yes, if you have any further insights, I'd be glad to hear them.
Opening Opera just now reminded me of how much more I like their
interface - it's also very fast.
And to those who prefer Firefox, or who are working on it, please
don't take this as an insult, or a challenge. Just a personal
preference.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA