boot udev freezes FC5 on Toshiba laptop; any get around?

Can not boot Fedora Core 5 on Toshiba Satellite A80. Last message
"Starting udev:" and hdd activity stops after ~10 seconds.

I disabled all I could in BIOS (infrared, network, parallel port,
wake-up on keyboard, wake-up on LAN + wireless, disabled through
external switch) with no effect.

I tried to enter "interactive startup" with no effect.

The installation completed successfully, from internal DVD/CD drive,
with graphical interface and implicit options.

USB worked well during install, since it saw my external hdd.

linux was installed on ~7 GB free space at the end of the 40 GB
internal hdd.

I am trying to learn linux, please tell me how can I boot with
minimal devices.

Video: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
DVD/CD: Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
	MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-8315
Modem: TOSHIBA Software Modem
Network adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
Controller
PCMCIA and Flash memory devices: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated
FlashMedia Controller
Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio