Re: Reinstalling grub?

On 10/11/06, Knute Johnson <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 10/10/06, Knute Johnson <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have WinXP installed on the first hard drive and FC5 on the second.
>>  I was using grub as the boot loader but it was destroyed when I had
>> to reload Winblows.  I'm sure that I can start FC from a CD and mount
>> the second drive but how do I reload grub?  Any pointers would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Knute Johnson
>> Molon Labe...
>>

>> --
>>
>Hi Knute Johnson!
>
>Some other possible solutions;
>
>1. Make the FC5 HDD the bootable drive and simpley place XP in the menu.
>
>2. Use the XP boot loader to boot to FC5.

I'm curious how you would do that?

Thanks,

Yeah this can be done.
1. You need to have the bootloader (Grub) installed on the MBR of boot partition (which would contain /boot)
2. Make an image of MBR of this partition. (you could use dd and get the first 512 bytes [bs=512] )
3. Copy this image to your win-xp and add an entry for this in boot.ini (if i am right)

Now win-xp bootloader would chain-load (?) the linux bootloader.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...