Re: Some really dumb printer configuration questions?

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 07:31 pm, William Case wrote:

Sorry to middle post but I will answer a couple of your questions> Hi all;

> Here I am screwing around with printers again.  I have a couple of
> points I would like to make in case anyone is reading this.
>
> First, perhaps a bit defensively, I am not a complete newbie, and in
> fact, in my 2-3 years using Linux I have accomplished quiet a lot and
> learnt quiet a lot.  However, printers have been the bane of my
> existence over the last few years.  I have spent time in Linuxprinting,
> have read all the CUPS manuals and several RedHat/Fedora installation
> guides and I still get baffled; so here goes:
>
> FC5 has both their own printer-config gui and supplies the CUPS
> http://name/631/ thingy.  Which takes prescedence? If I am playing
> around trying to get a printer configured which do I use?  If temptation
> gets the better of me and I play with both which config dominates?
>
> I got the bit about hpijs being a driver for some HP's and contained
> within HPLIP but why does CUPS have HPLIP - fax (how fax gets into it I
> don't know) and the Fedora printer-config only has hpijs?
Because HPLIPS was developed for the HP All in one [print Scan Copy Fax units

> One set of instructions said that HPLIP can get things like cartridge levels
which
> is a feature of my HP PSC 1315 and shows them in my 'device manager'.
> What is my device manager?.
When you install  HPLIPS it also installs a HP specific device manager applet
> Why does the config-printer-daemon keep
> screwing up my settings and giving me a completely new set of queue
> paths that have nothing to do with my computer and a printer name (of
> its own choosing) that is longer than 18 characters -- the supposed name
> length restriction?
>
> How am I supposed to choose between installed locally? and a set of
> network choices that might be construed as at least half true for my
> setup? I really can go on and on about the ambiguity and confusion that
> I have experienced with printers; HPs, Ebsons and Canons.  If anyone who
> can effect change is interested I'll take the time to document all of my
> various misunderstandings and confusions.
>
> As for now, I will try and get my printer working.  It quit this
> morning; I posted to the list asking for help.  It started printing
> again this afternoon (why?); posted this list cancelling my post.  Went
> out this evening and now it doesn't work again.  Haven't touched it.
>
> It works without a burp in Windows???
Just what printer do you have ?

--
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice Doggy" While you look for a rock..Will
Rodgers