Re: Limited data transfer outside local network ..?

ahbril <no-reply-gw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I&#039;ve just installed Fedora Core 5:
Linux dgb33 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 #1 Mon Sep 11 01:17:06 EDT 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I am experiencing one of the most slippery problems I&#039;ve ever
encountered. In short, data transfer from the internet stops after
some initial traffic.

I searched FAQs, Google, forums, ... but nothing remotely similar
comes up.

First, I'll pick on your subject. Nothing wrong with it but what happens if you use the same system to scp a file internally? Same for doing something like opening something like the SWAT (samba web administration tool) on another box or some internal web server? Have you tried just letting ping run for a while? Also, try the same actions through the loopback interface (e.g., open SWAT on this box through 127.0.0.1).

If "things" stop after a consistent (time or byte count) point, chances are that something is causing them to stop. If the stop point is random, you may have a hardware problem. ifconfig *may* provide some useful information (like error count, dropped packets, etc.). If things are "normal" internally, chances are you've got a firewall, router or something that is stopping network activity for some reason.

You never know what can cause problems. A while back my internet service started degrading. It finally got to the point where I couldn't get out at all. I use point-to-point wireless and my ISP said they had a good signal to my antenna but I couldn't "reach" the antenna box. They finally sent a service tech out to check the problem. Turns out a squirrel had chewed through part of cat5 line to the antenna. They replaced the line and I coated it with hot sauce (Cold Cap to be exact). Hopefully, the neighborhood squirrels don't like spicy food.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce