Re: file image creation failed

On 2006-10-04 18:03:52, Markku Kolkka <markkuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thufir kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 4.
lokakuuta 2006 22:28):
I was going to extract from a CD, but am getting a dialog
window from grip stating:

No tracks selected.
Rip whole CD?

Did you select any tracks? Did you try ripping the whole CD?
Did you get any actual errors?

I can't get
the path to that disk out of the GUI file manager (nautilus?).

Audio CDs don't contain any files and can't be mounted, that's
why you need a ripping program like grip.

Actually this last stattment is incorrect: if you go to the trouble to add the cdfs driver available at http://www.elis.UGent.be/~ronsse/cdfs/. Unfortunately no RPM for cdfs is available (that I know of), and you must have the kernel source installed for your current kernel - you have to run the make by hand. (... I know that this is more trouble than most people want to go to...) However, I have been using it for years without any problems and am currently using it on FC5. After I switch to a new kernel, it takes only a few minutes to do the cdfs install and I'm set.

cdfs has the advantage of enabling mounting whatever CD or DVD you have so that you can actually see the ".wav" (for audio) or ".iso" (for data cds/dvds) directly.

Occasionally I have been able to mount an audio CD and retrieve the raw ".wav" files when ripping failed (... failed for reasons that I never bothered to figure out).

Good luck.
--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."