Re: VNC problem - now more understood - but a solution?

"Mike Cohler" <mike.cohler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This behaviour does not kick in when the screensaver starts up but
only when the screensaver goes off the screen when the power save
kicks in later -(in my systems).

I would be interested to know if you still get normal behaviour if you
wait until the screen is in powersave (not just with the screensaver
running visibly) with the operating system different from Fedora and
with gnome - this would certainly point at kde/vnc interaction of some
kind.

Hopefully more information can be obtained and a solution found.

I just fired up vncserver on my test box (currently running FC5) and then started a vnc session to it from my FC4 box. Both systems have a default gnome desktop with all updates applied. The monitor on the FC5 box is still in power save mode but the vnc session is behaving normally. My expectation is that, if I wait a little while, the graphical screensaver will "blank" (power on but hidden by the screensaver) the remote desktop within the vnc window. Funny thing is, when I was using vnc for remote access to my home network I was looking for a way to turn even this off. I didn't want the screensaver for the vnc desktop chewing up bandwidth by drawing pretty pictures.

The vnc installation is completely "default." My user vnc configuration is pretty trivial:

# cat ~dave/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
gnome-session

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce