Re: Replacing/Adding new hard disk to FC5

On Mon October 2 2006 7:13 am, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Since you used LVM when installing, this should go quite
> smoothly.
>
> There should be no problems with the BIOS or compatibility.
>
> You'll need to use your partitioning tool of choice to create a
> partition of type "LVM Physical Volume" on the new disk. You
> can then create a new physical volume on that partition
> (pvcreate), add the physical volume to your existing volume
> group (vgextend) and then resize the logical volume(s) that
> your Linux filesystem(s) are on (lvextend) to take advantage of
> the extra space. You can then resize the filesystem(s)
> themselves (resize2fs or ext2online).
>
> If you do a fresh install of FC6 when it comes out, it should
> use both disks by default, so it might just be easier to do
> that, if you can back up your data somewhere whilst you do it.

Paul: I wonder if you can tell me the following, which is related.
What are the advantages of using LVM vs. say, ext3? I came up on
this issue recently, and opted, after an earlier not so
successful attempt to add to an LVM (due to time pressures and my
own lack of knowledge), to partition disks on a new system using
ext2 and ext3 only. Recently, I added a 500GB disk to this
system, and I just formatted it as ext3 and mounted it under a
name ("archive"), in my home directory. Obviously, using this
technique doesn't allow for dynamic expansion of capacity for
individual folders, but is there any other advantage to LVM
besides this? In Windows land, I finally stopped using dynamic
discs because they wound up creating more problems than they
eventually solved - for example, the Acronis backup package has
issues with dealing with dynamic disks. I have encountered
similar issues in dealing with LVM volumes when trouble arises on
my Linux box - for example, in the tension of troubleshooting a
problem, I've several times had problems using the various
flavors of live CD's out there to mount my LVM's - any light you
can shed on these questions?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA