Re: Gdm won't start after updates on FC5

On Monday 02 October 2006 03:18, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I can bootup into init3 ok, and startX takes me directly into Gnome,
> > which doesn't help much, as I use KDE.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to what's gone wrong with Gdm since the
> > updates?  Gdm is still installed, and verified by rpm -q -a gdm, and
> > shows version -2.14.9-1
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> If you run a program called switchdesk from the terminal, you might be
> able to get kde to start from the terminal. I  have no idea about the
> gdm problem. The power outage might have caused some data loss for gdm
> related items.
> switchdesk kde
> Then you can run startx to see if KDE comes up for you. If switchdesk is
> not found, you might install it with your update retrieval/installer
> program.
> switchdesk should be run as the user who you want to have the desktop.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim. This whole problem seems to have been caused by updates having
installed another version of librsvg2, so I ended up with.
librsvg2     2.14.4-1.fc5.1      (the correct one)
and
librsvg2    2.14.2-1    (an earlier version, which shows up on the versions
list in synaptic)

No third party repo's were involved in the updates, just the 3 which came with
apt (core, updates, and extras).

I could not remove the earlier version, and kept getting a transaction failed
because part of the removal meant getting access
to /etc/gtk-2.0/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders, and the transaction
failed message said it was looking for the gdk-pixbuf.loaders file
in /etc/gtk-2.0/i386-redhat-linux-gnu.

To remove the earlier version of librsvg2, I've had to create a link
in /etc/gtk-2.0 to trick synaptic into thinking that "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"
exists.
#cd /etc/gtk-2.0
ln -s i686-redhat-linux-gnu i386-redhat-linux-gnu

Now librsvg 2.14.2-1  removes ok, and I think I'll leave the link there for
the time being in case there are any more problems.

Prior to doing the above removal, I'd removed gdm, and next time I booted I
got a different display manager, a plain blue one with Fedora on it, but no
bubbles, and the login box in the centre of the screen. I'm presuming it is
kdm.

I've still got to try reinstalling gdm, to see if it works now, but I'm not
too bothered, because at least I have a login screen.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel.