Re[2]: After Update My FC5 get BLANK SCREEN.

Hello Jim,

Sunday, October 1, 2006, 2:33:06 AM, you wrote:

> Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
>> Hello Jim,
>>
>> the problem is that I have no old kernel line in my GRUB loader only
>> the new one is appeared...
>>
> The availability of only one kernel will limit you trying another kernel.

> Have you pressed a key to see the menu, highlight your kernel, press the
> a key to get into append mode?
> When you are in append mode, backspace out the rhgb and quiet entries
> and then press the enter key after removing the lines from the grub boot
> line. I previously said the a key and noted my mistake after sending the
> email.
> Anyway, if rhgb is causing the problem, you will be able to boot. You
> may blank out at the GUI loading or you might see some message while
> booting about what is happening.
> If you fail once you hit the GUI still, you could boot into runlevel 3
> by repeating the steps mentioned above by adding a space followed by the
> number 3 on the boot line. Once in runlevel 3, you could log onto the
> terminal as root and run
> system-config-display --reconfig
> to see if you can reconfigure X with the program.
> If that fails, you might try running
> yum -y update
> while you are in runlevel 3 in order to pull in later updates which
> could fix your problem. Then reboot your computer to see if X startx.
> There has to be at least another kernel newer thsn the one that you have
> installed. After a successful update, you should have two kernels
> showing in grub.

> If you can't get this far, a reinstall is probably the easiest. The next
> time that you run yum to update your computer, do it from a root
> terminal so X does not restart on you and kill yum and all other
> programs running off of the GUI layer. (I was hit once by X respawning
> when yum was running in a gnome-terminal)

> Jim

  I got into the append mode and removed "rhgb quiet" and got to boot
  process I chose the "selective startup" so I could decide which
  daemon to run. All moved fine till I reached the "cupsd" &
  "sshd:/usr/sbin/sshd" & "crond" & "atd" daemonds. For all of them I've got
  the same message, like:"Starting ____: ____: error while loading
  shared libraries: libpam.so.0 can't open object file: No Such Folder
  Or Directory"

  where "____" is the name of the daemon.

  At the end of all this stuff I get the black screen with kernel
  version line above and:"localhost login:" invitation
  line. So what do I need to do now?

  Some more thing, would you please reference me to some documentation about all those
  daemons and kernel arguments(rhgb quiet)? So I could read and
  understand some more things about it.

  Tnx again.

  P. S. I've read about runlevels... but still don't know how to
  handle this. Where and what I need to type if I want to run some of
  them?

--
Best regards,
 Ivan                            mailto:bravo.elf@xxxxxxxxx