Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 18:32:04 +0800,
  Chong Yu Meng <chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Instead of wrestling with the IP address and the modem, you may want to
> consider another alternative: look around for a combination router/modem
> that will handle the connection details for you and provide a GUI which
> you can use to configure your network. There are quite a few models from
> NetGear, Linksys and D-Link. Of course, you would probably need to do a
> little homework before buying by asking subscribers to the same service
> what models they purchased or what they are successfully using.

I would suggest staying away from combined routers and modems.
I would prefer to not have the ISP have control over routing on my local
network. With your own router, you can filter traffic going to the modem
so that you don't leak stuff that you don't want to.
This also makes testing easier in the case where there are problems as you
can pull the router and test the modem without any acls getting in the way.
This can make diagnosing whose equipment is at fault simpler.