Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 19:30 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

I've tried all the addresses mentioned, but none of them led anywhere.
And I've had no luck googleing for the modem, nor any luck talking to
the geniuses at the ISP.

Of course, I'm trying this while connected to the 'net via the router.
Should I disconnect from the net, eliminate the router, and try these
addresses again?

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

I am still not sure what your problem really is. If you are connected to
the Internet what are you trying to determine? But if you are trying to
find out the ip address to the modem and or router it seems to me using
a traffic monitoring program like tcpdump, nmap or tethereal would allow
you to find out the ip of machines you machine is communicating with.
One of them must be at the ip of your router. You router should have a
web interface that will tell you the ip assigned by the DHCP server of
your ISP.

That the technical people of your ISP can't tell you how to do this is
very strange. Chauvinism would make me think that the CS department or
the Computer Center at the Technion could help you with this. --

I think that this issue is out of the hands of the ISP anyways. They don't know anything but Windoze but do know how to ensure that the modem is working. It sounds like the modem is working.

There should have been a CD or manual with the modem. In the manual, there should be a description of how to connect to the modem with your browser of choice.

My ISP has a customized modem that is a modified D-Link. With a bit of digging, I found that all the D-Link settings are available, just needed a bit of work. Of course the ISP was lost as soon as I said I used Linux.

Now if you can connect through the modem, then it is working. If you cannot, then you need to find what IP address is working for that modem.

It should be in the 192.168.x.x range. My two different routers used 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for their web setup. You also have to ensure that your computer IP address and netmask are configured to work within the range of your router. If your router is using 192.168.1.1, your computer will have to have an IP address of 192.168.1.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. I don't know but you may be able to setup a netmask of 255.255.0.0 that will allow you to connect to all the 192.168.x.x range.

--
Robin Laing